Monday, October 8, 2012

One for Mom

It's been on my mind for long to want Amma to have a break - break from the routine and monotony of life and the stresses. A vacation she very deeply need and hasn't had in a very very long time. It's always been on my mind. But little did I do anything towards it. So when she decided to extend her stay at Bangalore after attending a family occasion, it hit me that this was the chance for me to give her that holiday. It just needed 2 nights to survey, plan and make the bookings. It had to be something out of Bangalore or Chennai but nearby. Mom loves the beach. What more relaxing than a holiday where you can chill at a beach and do nothing else?  Goa wasn't under consideration - too expensive, too hyped. Also, been there. Gokarna - great beach holiday but too much trekking that mom won’t enjoy. Also, been there twice last year in 2011. It had to be a new place. I decided 'twas something in Kerala. Not too far away and perfect for the entire things mom loves - beach, ayurvedic massage, and hammocks! Well, except shopping :) Allepey was on the wishlist but I ruled it out because of no beach. Beach took over even a beautiful boathouse stay. Two other reasons that I didn’t combine Alleppey was my smaller budget and short span of stay. I wanted it to be relaxing rather than a packed agenda to visit many places.

I was time constrained to plan this trip. With more time I could’ve explored more but I had to decide fast since there was not much time left for the train tickets. Every Indian knows the pain of getting tatkal tickets! I didn’t want to take a chance, had to be an advanced booking. So I went with my first option of a beach holiday and looked up online like I do for any small query in my head. Lonely planet and other sites were great help. I solely banked on the reviews and went ahead. One month later here I am writing on my way back home.

I had an awesome holiday at Manaltheeram ayurvedic beach village in Chowara, Trivandrum, Kerala. In effective, it was just  24 hrs at the resort - the beach, swimming pool, hammocks, an awesome massage, a beautiful place to stay topped with very hospitable resort staff!   We were welcomed with a garland and a tender coconut drink in a very Hawaiian fashion. Mum was excited since she figured we were heading to a resort only few minutes prior to us reaching there. Even the road to the resort added to the mystery. After the warm welcome, we were taken to our cottage that stood high amongst other beautiful mud houses and tall coconut trees overlooking an exotic beach at the height of about 2 storeys below. A stretch of green lawn with a swing, a hammock and the outdoor restaurant lay between the sights of the beach from the rooms. Oh so lovely!! Even the pictures on the site did not justify the beauty of this place. That was it. I felt satisfaction for executing this surprise successfully for mom. Well I almost spoilt it with my laid back plan to start to the railway station in Bangalore just an hour before our train. What was i thinking!?!?! I was so tensed. Thanks to a good auto driver and my friends who checked for me that the train would stop in cantonment. We changed direction midway to cantonment station which was the second stop after majestic and we reached twenty minutes earlier than the arrival time! Exciting, satisfying and memorable. That's what the holiday was. Love You Amma! :*)

No comments:

Post a Comment